These are definitely not your ordinary banana muffins, these scrumptious treats are packed full of oats, ground flax seeds, chia seeds, and a touch of semi-sweet mini chocolate chips and cinnamon to make them extra special! My banana muffins are made with a lot of super ripe bananas to give it that rich taste, full of good fiber, light, fluffy, and are not too sweet or oily so you can enjoy them guilty-free as a healthy breakfast item.
These little guys are so easy to make and a great recipe to get your kids and family involved in baking. Plus it makes your house smell SOOO good while it’s in the oven. In this recipe I like to add 50/50 butter and oil (not too much) so you still get that little bit of buttery taste but not the greasiness. The added oats, ground flax seeds, and chia seeds also give the muffin a really nice texture almost like bran muffins but lighter.
And if you’re like me and love to add a little kick to your baked goods, I highly recommend not skimping out on the semi-sweet chocolate chips. I mean who doesn’t like chocolate and banana…a classic combo! The bitterness from the chocolate really adds some nice depth and dimension to each bite!
This is a another great base recipe for making it your own, add a little coconut flakes or maybe some wheat germ or walnuts if you choose. One little note is to not smash the bananas too fine and leave a little bit of chunkiness to give the muffins a little more texture. These muffins are a great make ahead weekend project because you can freeze a bunch for the week and zap them in the microwave directly from frozen for 1.5-2 min for a quick breakfast on the run. Give this recipe a try and let me know in the comments below!
Chocolate Banana Oat Muffins
Prep time: 5 min Cook time: 30 h Total time: 35 min Servings: 12
- 2 cups flour
- 4 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/3 cup quick oats
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/4 oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a bowl combine flour, chia seeds, ground flax seeds, quick oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In another large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until foamy. Add in vanilla extract, melted butter, oil, and mashed ripe bananas.
- Gradually mix in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Transfer batter into a muffin tray lined with 12 muffins cups.
- Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 30 min until tops are golden brown. Serve warm and enjoy!
**Note: You can make these ahead and freeze them. To warm, pop them in the microwave for 1.5-2 min and they’ll be perfectly delicious!