Crispy, crunchy, and light as a feather! These corn fritters have a delicious hint of coconut flavor and are so easy to make at home.
If you LOVE funnel cake or deep fried goodies for that matter this recipe for Coconut Corn Fritters will surely satisfy those guilty pleasures! The batter is super light, I mean seriously light it’s almost like eating nothing at all and the texture is like funnel cake. Plus the CRUNCH FACTOR! Insanely crispy with a wonderful pop of corn kernels in every bite, this dish is great as an appetizer, snack, or main dish if you prefer.
Now the idea of adding coconut milk into the batter was simply because I had no milk around the house…so I thought why not? And boy was it good, the coconut milk gives the corn fritters an added subtle coco-nuttiness that pairs so well with the sweetness of the corn kernels.
The other secret to making it super crispy is the addition of corn starch. This is an old trick used in many Asian batters to give that extra crunch. The other secret is to add a touch of baking powder to give more aeration in the batter, which means a lighter fried product and fluffier texture!
Now, when I made this I thought the batter was too watery but it ended up being the perfect consistency to fry these babies up, so don’t fret. As always, don’t over crowd your frying pan and make sure you have a good amount of oil. I usually shallow fry in about 1 inch of oil.
This is a base recipe and you can easily make this more of a savory corn fritter by adding less sugar and throwing in some diced jalapeno or peppers to give some extra flavor. Or how about some cheese into the batter? If you want to lean towards dessert, I would add more sugar to the batter and you can sprinkle on some powdered sugar at the end and enjoy these crispy treats like a corn beignet!
Whatever you choose, give this a try the next time you’re craving some fried crispies and let me know in the comments below!
Coconut Corn Fritters
Prep time: 5 min Cook time: 10 h Total time: 15 min Servings: 4
- 1 can (15 oz) corn kernels
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- In another bowl, mix together the coconut milk and egg. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix in the corn kernels (drained of the liquid). Do not over mix, the batter should appear liquidy.
- In a frying pan, heat about 6 cups of oil to medium high heat. Using a large spoon, carefully place the batter into the oil one spoon at a time.
- Fry the corn fritters for about 2-3 min on each side until golden brown. Place them onto a rack to drain before serving.
- Enjoy while hot and fresh!