Learn how to make these light and fluffy cornbread muffins that are a perfect balance of sweet and savory goodness!
I love a good baked cornbread especially on days I’m making homemade BBQ ribs or just want something different for breakfast other than the usual muffin flavors. I’ve always enjoyed eating sweet cornbread growing up and recently created a new twist on an old classic with the addition of some savory ingredients like red peppers, whole corn kernels, and chives!
This super easy recipe is quick to make and TASTE AMAZING! Rather than using oil as the fat in most recipes I swapped it out for melted butter to make it extra rich in addition to the milk in the batter. The whole corn kernels give it a nice touch of texture as you bite into the cornbread muffins and the red peppers and chives contrast the sweetness. Bonus trick, I quickly sautéed the red peppers in a little oil in a pan before adding it to the batter to release more pepper flavor and soften them as they may not cook all the way through during the bake.
While baking your house will smell incredible and the cornbread has a really great light crumbly texture so you can easily enjoy at least a half dozen!
If you prefer, you can bake them in a large square 9 inch pan. I find with muffin tins each piece will have more of that outer caramelized crust which is one of the best parts to eat 🙂 Enjoy these with dinner or have them as snack, I’m sure they will not last long after you make them. Give this recipe a try and let me know in the comments below!
Best Ever Cornbread Muffins
Prep time: 5 min Cook time: 25 min Total time: 30 min Servings: 4
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 finely diced red pepper
- 1/4 fresh chives chopped
- 1/2 cup canned corn kernels
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- In another bowl, mix together the melted butter, milk, egg. Then mix the dry and wet ingredients together.
- In a small pan, saute the finely chopped red peppers for 5 min until slightly softened. Add them to the cornbread batter and mix in the canned corn and chives.
- Divide the batter among 12 muffin cups and place into the oven to cook for 25 minutes until slightly golden brown.
- Serve warm with a slather of butter if you like. Enjoy!