With Mother’s Day just around the corner what better way to celebrate and show your love by serving her a delicious hand crafted breakfast treat! This recipe for coconut milk steamed bread is super light and fluffy and has a wonderful coconut aroma filled with healthy ingredients like chia seeds, millet, sesame seeds, and a hint of vanilla.
The great thing about this bread is that it requires no kneading at all so no ‘knead’ to break a sweat (okay bad pun)! The elasticity you develop in the dough is done entirely during the proofing process to yield a thick, airy, and sticky batter. It does take a little time and patience for the proofing steps but your mom will surely appreciate the time and effort that went into making this treat!
I like to transfer the dough into little glass cups or bowls and once these delights are steamed to perfection they have a really nice moist fluffy texture. Make sure to wait 5 min after you turn off the heat from steaming before removing them to make sure they don’t shrink too much. Serve it with a little butter and honey and you’ll be on cloud nine!
You can see the crumb you develop is incredible and the result is a very light and bouncy bread. You can make this recipe your own by adding in dried fruits like cranberries or coconut flakes or lemon zest if you wish, it really is a nice base dough to experiment with! Give this recipe a try this weekend and impress your mom with something healthy and packed full of super food goodies!
Coconut Milk Steamed Bread
Prep time: 3 h 20 min Cook time: 25 min Total time: 3 h 45 min Servings: 8
- 1 cup millet
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 4 cups flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 3 tsp active dry yeast
- Place millet into a large bowl and warm coconut milk to reconstitute the millet into a pasty consistency.
- Mix in the coconut milk, egg, sugar, salt, vanilla extract, chia seeds, sesame seeds, melted butter, and yeast.
- Gradually add in the flour a little at a time while stirring. The mixture should resemble a thick pancake batter so add a little more or less flour to adjust for the right consistency.
- Allow the mixture to rest covered at room temperature for at least 3 h to allow the dough to rise.
- After rising mix the dough and it should look a little sticky and bubbly at this point. Transfer the dough to oiled glass cups or small bowls filling about 3/4 of the way.
- Allow the dough to rise once more at room temperature for another 20 min.
- Place in a steamer and cook for 25 min. Once cooked let it rest for another 5 min before removing.
- Serve steamed bread with salted butter and honey if you like. Enjoy!