It’s finally time to celebrate with July 4th long weekend just around the corner, YAY! If you’re planning to BBQ with family this weekend be sure to try this recipe for Hawaiian pineapple burger or as we like to call it the…the “Maui Wowee” burger! The sweet tender pineapples slices are just divine and really brings a tropical vibe to your traditional burger. Best of all it can’t be any easier to make!
The first time I’ve ever had grilled pineapple or fruit for that matter was at a local all you can eat Brazilian restaurant a long time ago with my parents. I remember the waiters and waitresses coming by our tables with these giant swords of meat which was just awesome to see the whole buffet spread prancing around you. After our fill of various delicious roasted meats, our waiter came by with a grilled whole pineapple, on a sword of course, dusted ever so lightly with cinnamon.
At first I was unsure….grilled fruit was quite a foreign thing for me back then but after my first bite I was HOOKED! Grilled fresh pineapples become this delicious caramelized flavor bomb that’s so juicy and the hint of cinnamon really tops it off. So ever since my first bite I’ve been finding ways to incorporate grilled pineapples into my dishes and enjoying it in burger form is truly a hit!
All you need to do really is get yourself a whole ripe pineapple and make sure to slice it not too thick so it’ll fit nicely between the buns. I really like the combination of sweet and salty in this burger and along with ooey goeey melted swiss cheese and the sweet aroma of caramilized onions….oh man you’ll be drooling because it’s sooo GOOD! You don’t need much else, maybe a side of homemade potato salad or some party wings as an appetizer (check out my recipe for Hong Kong Fried Chicken Wings) then you are all set for an epic dinner party!
Hawaiian Pineapple Burger
Prep time: 30 min Cook time: 10 min Total time: 40 min Servings: 4
- 1 lb of ground beef (80% lean)
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 fresh pineapple sliced
- 1 large onion thick sliced
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 burger buns
- Make burger patties by combining ground beef, onion powder, egg, paprika, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Shape into 4-inch wide patties about 1/2 inch thick and place aside.
- Heat a grill to medium high and grill burger patties 4-5 min per side for medium well. In the last minute place a slice of Swiss cheese onto each patty and cover grill to melt.
- Meanwhile grill onion slices and pineapple slices on the side flipping every 2-3 min until onions are soft and caramelized and you have nice grill marks on the pineapple.
- To assemble, toast the top and bottom buns on the grill for 30 seconds. Place bottom of bun onto a plate and add mayonnaise then top with grilled pineapples, tomato slice, burger patty, and caramelized onions. Enjoy!