Sweet, fluffy, and creamy this delicious sweet potato side dish is sure to be a crowd pleaser that’s quick and easy to make.
It’s that time of year again, Turkey time (a.k.a. Thanksgiving) in our house and while the main dish whether it be turkey, ham, or a giant roast I’ve always wanted to find a perfect and unique side dish to round out the meal. Well for this year, ta da! I’m going to share with you my recipe for super easy stuffed sweet potatoes that not only look impressive but are so yummy for any festive meal.
I was actually inspired to make this dish after watching an old episode of Cooking with Dog on Youtube showing how to make a sweet potato dessert. Instead of making it too sweet I opted to make it more as a savory side dish to enjoy.
I highly recommend you find yourself some nice Japanese sweet potatoes for this recipe. Unlike your traditional orange yams (which are also great by the way), Japanese sweet potatoes are their starchier cousin and have a wonderfully natural creamy and sweet flavor. All you need to do for this recipe is microwave the sweet potatoes, scoop out their stuffing, mix it with cream and butter, then stuff it back in and bake. To get that beautiful and elegant sheen on top, brush them with egg and a sprinkle of sesame seeds then in for another minute or so under the broiler. This is a great alternative to mashed potatoes if you’re looking for something new to bring to the table!
Give it a try this holiday season and let me know in the comments below!
Simple and Easy Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Prep time: 10 min Cook time: 20 h Total time: 30 min Servings: 4
- 2 Japanese sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Scrub the sweet potatoes clean and poke a few small holes with a sharp knife. Wrap them in a wet paper towel and microwave on high for 5-7 min until cooked through.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh into a bowl. Set the sweet potato skins aside.
- Add the cream, butter, salt, sugar, and half of the beaten egg to the sweet potato flesh. Using a potato masher mix all ingredients until smooth and fluffy.
- Spoon back the sweet potato mixture into the skin and place them on a baking sheet. Bake the sweet potatoes for 10 min at 375°F.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and brush the tops with the remaining egg mixture and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Broil for 2 min until the tops become golden brown.
- Serve hot as a side dish. Enjoy!