In the mood for some healthy hearty soup? Here is a fantastic recipe that’s so easy anyone can make and has only 4 ingredients!!! This Kabocha squash soup is very tasty and has a wonderful silky and naturally creamy texture without the dairy. Best of all this is a great cheap soup dish you can readily make any day of the week or if you’re just feeling lazy and wanting something better than your old pantry canned soup.
Kabocha is a really nice meaty squash and it’s one of my grandparent’s favorite things to eat. Full of vitamins and minerals, if you’re looking to include something nutritious that even your kids will love eating, cause you know we can all benefit from a little extra veggies and fruit once in a while….this recipe takes 20 min or less to make. For those vegan or vegetarian friends out there, this is a great hearty and filling soup that’s surely satisfying. What’s more is that squash and pumpkin are naturally full of fiber and great for reducing bloat and puffiness so BONUS points for that too!
I’m sharing with you a basic recipe but you can feel free to spice it up and add a little jazz by grating in some fresh ginger or a dash of nutmeg. This soup also blends very well and the starchiness of this squash gives it a really nice thick texture and creamy consistency. Give this recipe a try and let me know in the comments below!
Kabocha Squash Soup
Prep time: 5 min Cook time: 20 h Total time: 25 min Servings: 4
- 1 Kabocha squash
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 5-6 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- Peel the Kabocha squash and cut into medium sized chunks.
- Heat a large pot to medium high heat, add olive oil and saute onions until translucent for 2-3 min.
- Stir in the Kabocha squash and saute for another 2 min.
- Add the vegetable broth or water until just covered and add in the maple syrup. Bring liquid to a boil and simmer for 20 min until the squash is soft and tender.
- Using an hand held blender, blend the soup until smooth and season with salt to taste. Add a little more vegetable broth of water if the consistency is too thick.
- Serve hot immediately and enjoy!