This eggy delicious vegetarian dish is so flavorful and easy to make! The great combination of zesty tomatoes, hint of Middle-Eastern spices, and gooey eggs is soooo good and makes for a nice balanced hearty breakfast meal.
I’ve seen this dish floating around the web and was really blown away this past weekend when I gave it a try! This breakfast favorite originates from the Middle East and former Ottoman Empire and is essentially poached eggs in spiced tomato sauce. There are many variations but the basic ingredients are onions, peppers, tomatoes, cumin, paprika, and eggs.
If you’re in a pinch like me, I used jarred marinara tomato sauce to make this dish just make sure to adjust the seasoning so it’s not too salty. If you have canned tomatoes lying around those do well too or if you have fresh tomatoes make sure to add a little tomato paste to give it more depth of flavor. Whatever way you choose, it’s really a foolproof recipe and tastes great whichever way you make it!
The way I like to eat it is scoop the egg onto a piece of grilled pita and enjoy it like an eggs Benedict. The eggs are a little on the runny side which adds a really nice creaminess to the zesty tomato sauce! This is a great family friendly one pan dish, no fuss with minimal prep so give it a try!
Prep time: 5 min Cook time: 10 min Total time: 15 min Servings: 2
- 4 eggs
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1.5 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 green onion chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a saute pan to medium heat and saute onions, peppers, and garlic in olive for 2-3 min until soft.
- Add in the cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, tomato sauce, and sugar then saute for another 4 min until bubbling. Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Make 4 spaces in the sauce pan with a spoon and crack an egg into each one. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for another 2-3 min.
- Sprinkle with green onions and serve hot with some grilled pita bread. Enjoy!